What Are the Key Tax Considerations for UK Freelancers Going Limited?

As freelancers, you are self-employed individuals who work for multiple clients rather than being employed by a single company. However, as your business grows, you may consider transitioning from a sole trader to a limited company. Before you make this leap, it’s crucial to understand the key tax considerations that come with this business structure. This article will walk you through the major aspects of tax that affect limited companies in the UK, from Income Tax and VAT to business expenses and HMRC assessments.

Understanding the Tax Differences between Sole Traders and Limited Companies

When you first start freelancing, you will likely register as a sole trader with HMRC. This is the simplest form of business in terms of administration. As a sole trader, you pay Income Tax and National Insurance on your business profits.

Lire également : What Are the Best Eco-Friendly Packaging Solutions for UK Food Delivery Services?

However, as a limited company, the tax situation becomes more complex. The company is a separate legal entity, meaning it pays corporation tax on its profits, while you, as the director, take a salary and dividends from the company. This can often result in significant tax savings, but you need to be aware of the additional administrative responsibilities that come with running a limited company.

Paying Corporation Tax as a Limited Company

One of the main advantages of being a limited company is that you will be liable to pay Corporation Tax instead of Income Tax. The Corporation Tax rate is generally lower than the higher rates of Income Tax, which could mean big savings for your business.

Cela peut vous intéresser : How to Navigate Patent Registration for Tech Startups in the UK?

Corporation Tax is currently set at 19% in the UK, while the basic rate of Income Tax is 20%, the higher rate is 40%, and the additional rate is 45%. This means that businesses with substantial profits can save a significant amount of money by operating as a limited company.

It’s also important to note that as a director of a limited company, you’ll need to complete a Self-Assessment tax return each year, just like a sole trader. However, you’ll also need to file a Company Tax Return for the limited company.

Managing VAT as a Limited Company

As a sole trader or a limited company, if your business turnover exceeds the VAT threshold, you must register for VAT with HMRC. The current threshold is £85,000.

Once registered, you’ll charge VAT on your sales at the appropriate rate (standard rate is 20%, reduced rate is 5%, and zero rate is 0%). You can also reclaim VAT on your business expenses.

For limited companies, there’s also the Flat Rate VAT Scheme, which can simplify your VAT reporting and potentially save your business money. Under this scheme, you pay a percentage of your turnover as VAT to HMRC, rather than calculating the difference between the VAT you’ve charged to customers and the VAT you’ve paid on purchases.

Claiming Business Expenses

When you’re self-employed, you can deduct allowable business expenses from your income before you calculate your tax. This includes costs such as office rent, travel expenses, and the cost of goods or materials.

As a limited company, you can still claim these expenses, but they must be wholly and exclusively for the purpose of your business. HMRC has strict rules around what can and can’t be claimed as a business expense, so it’s crucial to keep accurate records and receipts.

Navigating Dividends and Salaries

One of the main benefits of having a limited company is the flexibility it provides in taking income from the business. You can decide to take a small salary and the remainder of your income as dividends.

The advantage of this approach is that dividends are taxed at a lower rate than salary. However, the company must have made enough profits to cover these dividends after Corporation Tax has been paid.

As for your salary, anything you earn over your personal allowance (currently £12,570) will be subject to Income Tax. You may also have to pay National Insurance if your salary is over a certain threshold.

Understanding the nuances of tax considerations for freelancers going limited in the UK is no simple task. It might be beneficial to seek assistance from a qualified accountant to help navigate through these complexities, ensure you’re paying the correct amount of tax, and keep your business compliant with HMRC regulations. This step is not only a safeguard for your business, but it can also provide peace of mind as you focus on growing your freelance work into a thriving limited company.

Ensuring Compliance with National Insurance Contributions and Income Tax

It’s imperative to ensure your limited company complies with National Insurance contributions as well as Income Tax obligations. As a sole trader, you traditionally pay two types of National Insurance: Class 2 if your profits are £6,515 or more a year, and Class 4 if your profits are £9,569 or more a year.

However, in a limited company structure, the director’s salary is subject to Class 1 National Insurance contributions. Employers’ Class 1 contributions are payable on salaries above the secondary threshold of £8,840 per year. Employees’ Class 1 contributions are payable on earnings above the primary threshold of £9,568 per year. This difference in National Insurance classes could impact your tax obligations, thus, it is something to consider when transitioning from a sole trader to a limited company.

Then there’s the matter of Income Tax. As a sole trader, your entire profit is subject to Income Tax. However, in a limited company, only the salary and dividends you draw from the company are subject to Income Tax. This distinction could provide significant savings, especially for higher earners.

Remember, as a director of a limited company, you have to complete an individual Self-Assessment tax return every tax year. This process allows HMRC to calculate your tax based on the salary and dividends you’ve taken from the company.

Seeking Professional Assistance to Navigate the Tax Landscape

Dealing with the ins and outs of freelance tax obligations can be a daunting task, especially when transitioning from a sole trader to a limited company. The intricacies of Corporation Tax, VAT, National Insurance contributions, and Income Tax could quickly become overwhelming. Not to mention the strict requirements around claiming business expenses and the complexities of managing dividends and salaries.

In light of these complexities, you may find it beneficial to enlist the help of a professional tax accountant. These experts can offer crucial guidance and advice, helping you navigate the tax landscape with confidence. They can ensure your tax returns are completed accurately, help you understand your taxable income, and assist in managing your personal allowance effectively.

Furthermore, a tax accountant can also advise on the most tax-efficient way to extract profits from your company. Whether it’s through a salary, dividends, or a combination of both, they can help you minimise your tax liability while remaining compliant with HMRC regulations.

Their expertise could prove invaluable in avoiding potential pitfalls, meeting deadlines, and ensuring that you pay the correct amount of tax. This assistance allows you to focus on what you do best: growing your business.


Transitioning from a sole trader to a limited company is a significant step for any freelancer. It brings with it a host of tax considerations, from Corporation Tax and VAT to National Insurance contributions and Income Tax. Navigating these requirements can be complicated, but with careful planning, the transition can deliver substantial tax savings and opportunities for business growth.

However, it’s worth noting that this move also brings additional administrative responsibilities. Ensuring your company complies with all tax obligations and HMRC regulations is paramount. For many freelancers, engaging a tax accountant can be a wise decision to help navigate these complexities. Their knowledge can assist in ensuring your tax affairs are in order, allowing you to focus on driving your business forward. The journey from freelancing to a limited company might be taxing, but it’s one that could put your business on a path to greater success.

Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved